

PC Meeting 8/20/20

Lindsay: I don't know whether Michelle will be on tonight because she is trying to get the school ready as a fire shelter. We'll move quickly, try to keep this meeting short and keep the stress down.

Attendees: Lindsay Patel, Laura Murata, Kirin McKenna, Tricia Theodosis, Martita Emde, Robert Franz, Larissa Farias

Read-A-Thon Prizes: Thank you Tricia for working your butt off to get the prizes to all of the kids at school!

All: Thank you Tricia!!

Tricia: There are still about 12 prizes which need distribution because kids have not come back to school due to home schooling or graduation or having left the country.

Heather: I can forward you the parent list from last year so you can contact students and mail the prizes.

Merchandising: Let's think about merchandising, sales and distribution. We have all of this stuff. How are we going to sell it virtually?

Virtual Art and Music:

Lindsay: Michelle has ideas she is working on for Art and Music but she doesn't have time to articulate that plan today as she is dealing with the tragedy of the fires and getting our school ready as an "evacuation site".

Heather: I just want it to go on record that the parent club IS thinking about how to provide art and music or another form of enrichment to our students this year. Michelle has some ideas and we need to wait to hear what those ideas are before we can move forward. I want it to be clear that we have limited funding this year. Every year that we fundraise, we are fundraising to pay for the next year's Parent Club Obligations. Our obligations usually amount to somewhere near \$90K. Last year we were very successful in our fundraising efforts and were able to collect an excess of about (and Martita can correct me if I'm wrong) \$20K over the 90 we need to pay for all of the PC obligations. This includes teacher's aides, an Art and Music Instructor, a library Program and a Garden Program. Because we will not be fundraising this year (except for maybe the read-a-thon) we need to keep the 90K in reserve for (fingers crossed) bringing back all of those programs next year. However, we do have this \$20K that we can use to implement SOME sort of virtual enrichment for our kids. So, I just want it to go on record that we ARE working on it. We will not drop the ball on this.

Financials:

Martita: Heather touched on this briefly but at the start of each year, our goal is to try to raise 100K annually. We send out commitment sheets, ask between \$800- \$900 per student to reach our goal, to supplement that [because we do not receive this money from every single student],

we also do various fundraisers such as the redwood dinner and auction and the read a thon. What we fundraise for is aides \$35-40K, art and music \$35-40K, Supplies for ARt & Music 2K Library \$6K, garden 5K. We also want to contribute to the endowment fund if we make any extra. We do have a reserve from last year of about \$25K and we also have from prior years which can fund about a year to a year and ½ of programming (that's what is in the bank). I don't have all of the history but, there is some cash in the bank.

Martita: My thought is that there is a donate page on the website, we could update that to explain our situation and get a few donations this year. We could offer community support through the website. We could get the merchandise up on the website. These are all just thoughts about how we can update our website.

Lindsay: I don't think Michelle is on. Michelle was supposed to take this next agenda item.

Martita: I received a message from Michelle

Message from Michelle: Sorry I can't be at the meeting tonight but am in meetings with the Supts and the EOC. You can do me a huge favor. You can tell the group that HVS is safe, in fact, we are a designated evacuation site, and that we will continue to teach our students without interruption. While other schools have closed due to evacuations or staff members being displaced, we only have one staff member who was evacuated (Donna Walker from Ben Lomond), and our teachers are committed to keeping things as normal as possible during this difficult time.

Thanks so much!

Michelle

PC Meetings, Phone in or Zoom?:

Lindsay: I prefer zoom, it helps me put a face to the name. If nobody has any objections to that, I would like to move forward with zoom meetings only. No longer phone conference.

All: ZOOM!

Lindsay: Heather, how do we get class parents and what are their duties?

Heather: We used to enlist the teachers to recruit class parents at "back to school night". This year, obviously, will be different. We will have to talk to Michelle or the teachers to find out how they will be handling back to school night and what should be the best way for recruiting class parents.

Lindsay: How do we all feel about recruiting in our own classes for class parents? Heather, Would you mind putting together a bulletpoint intro to class parents e-mail to the school.

Heather: Ok, and I'll add a plea for secretary.

Lindsay: well we dont want you to be stuck with the job. Robert,can you make meetings? Ha ha

Robert: Well, I have more time now but I was going to offer my help with commitment sheets again but it sounds like that's not happening this year. I may be able to offer help with merchandising.

Lindsay: Maybe by this fall, we could work something out with merchandising.

Robert: Yeah, maybe we can get a link to shopify on the website

Tricia: Robert, I can work with you separately on getting merchandising going.

Lindsay: Heather, what is the Parent club's role in taking care of the garden?

Heather: I think we need to ask Joe about what is needed. I know we need to keep the fruit trees alive (along, the drive and in the garden). Maybe we could set up a sign up genius for people to come to the school and water.

Laura: Heather, what are the duties of the secretary? I would like to help.

Heather: Excellent!

Laura: We can have a side discussion about what that entails.

Martita: How can we reach out to the HVS community and offer help / emotional support? What can we do?

All: Creating community is huge. How can we bring new families into the fold? Perhaps send a welcome letter.

Laura: I feel like this is all so new we don't even know yet what we all need or how we can support each other or what we even want for ourselves.

All: Yes, in a few more weeks, we may have a better understanding of how we can support each other and offer help and support in our community as we may begin to understand in what ways we, ourselves, need support.

All: Small 10 person Zoom meeting for new Kinder class?

All: consider ways we can reach out to our community to help and support. Parent club should try to find ways to engage in this role.

Meeting adjourn: 7:21